Followers

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Living in a community

Today I will be blogging about the experience of living in community and the impact it has on people's lives.  It is truly one of the best experiences that one can have with people.
Last summer, while I was at Discipleship Focus we had a great group of guys in our cabin.  We lived together for three months last summer going through the study, Discovery, and working at our different jobs.  We went from not knowing much about each other early in the summer to knowing a lot about each other.  Our cabin was able to get to know each other well by living life with each other daily.  Through this community setting, we found  out each other's likes and dislikes.
Each cabin at Notch Pines had cabin nights throughout the summer.  It is there where truly bonded with one another.  We became our goofy, crazy, selves for one night during cabin night.  For our last cabin night we dressed as nerds.   We also performed the infamous "Little Boys in White T-shirts," which will live on in D-focus lore as a banned skit.
Another experience of community being lived out, was when I did work crew in the Pitts at Frontier Ranch.  During that month of the summer, we had five guys and a Pitts boss working together to wash the dishes every night.  We grew to get to know each other during that month at Frontier Ranch.  During the end of the night, we were able to joke and be goofy all the while getting the job done in a timely manner.  Our group became a closely knit group by the end of month at Frontier Ranch.
Frontier Ranch is a Young Life in Buena Vista, Colorado where high school kids come to the message of Jesus Christ every week during the summer.
Last weekend God reminded me of the great community that I have had in my life as well.  I hung out with some good friends from high school part of the weekend.  I met up with some of my best friends from TCU Jim Douglas and Stefanie Grows.  I also hung out with my best friend and his family in Fort Worth and saw Zach Hughes get married.  It truly was a great weekend.
God provided the Moore's house for me to live in and with last weekend.  I am thankful for their generosity.
The joy of seeing some of these friends has helped me realize some things.  It is given me further confirmation of the future.
God has been reminding me that he will provide me with community wherever I go and whatever I do.  He has also been saying to me that I thrive the most in a community setting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive