Followers

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Faith that God produces in us

Thursday in the Mighty Men bible study we discussed how spiritual renewal can produce practical results in by having a commitment to God.  This commitment to God's Word can lead to spiritual renewal and change in our lives.
The people of Israel entered into a covenant with God in Nehemiah 10 after a period of confession of sin and conviction of sin.  The people's main sin was intermarrying with other tribes. This covenant required affirmation and agreement and also required obedience and adherence.  The people knew the consequences for disobedience because of the curses discussed in Dueteronomy 28:15, 20.  In Nehemiah 10:30-35, the people made an oath in all parts to follow God and abide by his commands.
This oath showed the people of Israel's faith and trust in God.  This covenant was a new level of commitment for the Israelites; a sign that God's was renewing their hearts and minds through his Word.  Before this covenant was instituted and conviction instilled in them they had been neglecting the house of God.  In Nehemiah 10:39 ESV it says in regard to the people of Israel's response, "We will not neglect the house of God."  The people of Israel finally realized their need for God and how much they need to depend on him for everything in life.
God has been producing a spiritual renewal in me through a few hard years and times where God was calling me to trust him and faith.  Through those times,  God gave me the strength to trust him in faith.  During this time,  I grew in maturity in Christ.
One of those times came after I graduated from college at TCU I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.  I went to D-focus that summer, a summer discipleship program and God used that program to give me the ability to trust him in that time in my life of looking for a job and living at home with my parents.
Right now, God is calling me to trust him in faith after graduating from seminary.  If I do this, God will increase my faith from a glass to a big pitcher.  By trusting in God in different circumstances in our life, he will increase our faith and maturity in him as we grow in Christ.
For those that read this blog, what is God calling everyone to trust him with? How can God increase our faith on a day to day basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive