Followers

Friday, February 21, 2014

Serving while waiting

This story is about serving those in need and sharing God's love with them during a difficult time in my life.  I had been praying that morning that God would give me opportunities to serve others or share the gospel.
Around a month ago I was leaving the student center after getting lunch with an old professor at Southwestern seminary when I came across a young guy with a cane who was slowly making in through the tunnel by the Student Village apartment complex by campus.  I saw him and asked him if he needed anything and he said "just some food." I didn't have a lot of cash at the time and the guy seemed like he had been walking for a while so I let him go back to my apartment to rest.  I made him a sandwich, gave him a granola bar, M&M's.  Also, I let him take a shower at the apartment.
I talked to him while he was eating about what he was going through in his life.  He didn't seem like he was a bad guy, he had just fallen on hard times and done something in his past that he regretted.  Lastly, he told me he was going to talk to the president of the school I had just graduated from Paige Patterson, because he has these visions and Dr. Patterson had helped him before.
As he was leaving the apartment I gave him a small pocket Bible and prayed for him as he went back to campus to talk to Dr. Patterson. The only regret I had was not sharing the gospel though he said he had gone to church in Fort Worth and Dallas.  I just didn't know if he professed to be a Christian or not.
In Matthew 25:35-42, God calls all Christians to serve those who don't have much food or clothing.  Verse 40 says we are supposed to serve even the least of these brothers.  The meaning of verse 40 pertains to loving all mankind as a whole.  God wants us to love and serve all people. By not loving and serving the least of people we are rejecting Jesus and therefore Jesus will reject us as it says in verse 41.   If we do not serve those that have nothing, will we even serve the King of Kings Jesus in eternal glory in heaven?
God calls us to life of love and serving others every day.  His will for us is to tell others about him on a day to day basis in whatever that entails.
How has God called us to share with Jesus today? How can we apply this passage and story to our life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive