Followers

Thursday, March 28, 2013

What Jesus has done for me: from unbelief to belief

During the summer of my sophomore year of high school, God changed my life my unbelief in him to belief in him. In the first two years of high school I had been going through some hard times in my life until God used my Young Life leader, Loren Jones to lead me to Frontier Ranch. I had heard the gospel all of my life but during the week at Frontier Ranch the message of Jesus Christ dying for my sins and resurrecting from the grace on the third day made sense to me.
Most of my life I heard the gospel and who Jesus was, I did not believe in him until the end of my sophomore year of high school. In my junior year of high school, because of this car wreck I doubted who God said he was in my life.  This lead to some unbelief in my life.   I doubted God and his goodness in my life.  I was frustrated at God at the time.
In some of the resurrection accounts, the disciples see Jesus but still do not believe.  In Matthew 28:17 NIV, it says, "When they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted."The disciples saw and worshiped Jesus, yet still did not believe.
While in the account in Mark 16.  After the disciples had heard and seen Jesus they still did not believe him.  It says in Mark 16:12 that he appeared to two of the 12 disciples.  After they had reported this to the others, the other disciples still did not believe in him.  16:13 says "These returned and reported it to the rest but they still did not believe them either."
In the resurrection account in Luke the disciples were with him in on their road to Emmaus but they still did not recognize him.  The two disciples could not recognize Jesus was with them in their unbelief in Luke 24:17-24. Jesus even rebukes them in verse 25-26 saying, "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart are you to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not Christ have to suffer these things and enter into his glory?"  They did not believe him until verse 31 after Jesus had explained the Scriptures to them.
In John's resurrection account, Thomas doubts that Jesus was resurrected because he did not see him.  In 20:25 the disciples said, "We have seen the Lord." Then in his response Thomas says, "Unless I see the nails marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side I will not believe it." A week later Jesus came back and confronted Thomas with his unbelief and let him put his hands in his side and touch the nails in side.  He finally came in believe in verse 28.
As followers of Christ, we have to be quick to not doubt certain things about Jesus. Unbelief can detrimental to our future on Christ.  He died on the cross for our sins to take away our sins and rose for the grave on the third day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive