Followers

Thursday, September 27, 2012

God directed wisdom vs the foolish

The past few weeks I have been going to a Bible study over Proverbs.  The main theme we have been studying is examining the fool in us.  We have been looking at the difference between those that seek wisdom and follow God vs the fools that turn their ways against God.
Proverbs brings out this comparison of the fool and those that seek wisdom in God in the beginning of Proverbs.  Proverbs 1:7 says this in comparison between the fool and those that seek God for wisdom, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." Those that fear God seek him for wisdom in all their decisions.  In comparison, the fools turn against God daily in their decisions that they make.  The fools do not use wise discipline, discernment, and don't think about how their decisions may effect others in the future.
The things we do and the decisions we make should reflect God and we should go to him for every big decision we face.  If we do not do this, then we will become the kind of fool Proverbs is talking about.  After college, I tried to decide my future on my own without including God in it.  I tried to make life and financial decisions without God's help.  The summer after college, God led me to this discipleship program which helped me realize how much I need God and how foolish I am to not depend on him for life's biggest decisions.
Fearing God involves trusting him with our daily needs.  It is realizing he is bigger than our concerns, frustrations, feelings, worries, sins, at the moment.  Through this fear of the Lord, we are showing a certain level of reverence and awe in his power, glory, sovereignty, grace, and forgiveness in our life.  It is shown through hatred of evil in Proverbs 8:6; and avoidance of sin in Proverbs 16:6.
To seek God's wisdom is realizing God directs our life in all that we do.  Proverbs 20:24 NLT says, "The Lord directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?" Those who are seeking God in wisdom are surrendering to God all their decisions, cares, causes, and concerns for the day.  God already knows what we are going ask before we ask him it says in the book of Matthew.  Proverbs 16:9 NIV is very similar when it says, "In his heart a man plans his steps, but God determines his course."   The last thing I want to mention is that though we try to do life on our own sometimes leading to our foolish nature, ultimately God is in control of our life.
I used be a fool, making decisions on my own without thinking about them, not recognizing their cause and effect, immature, but God has matured in me and helped me make wise decisions with him in mind.  I used to be a fool despising wisdom, focusing on things that bring me joy, and going against God in everything I do.  I was very foolish in the past, only doing things my way; becoming selfish and impatient with the world and everything in the world.  Now, I have realized my foolish ways and have asked God for forgiveness for my past ways and now God is directing my life in all that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive